Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Book review: Dragons of Summer Flame signals beginning of the end

Hi everyone. I know it's bee a while, but I'm back. To signal the advance, I'm going to be doing a review for a book I finished this morning: Dragonlance: Dragons of Summer Flame.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Story:
The War of the Lance is over. The heroes who have survived have moved on with their lives, started families of their own. However, things aren't peaceful in Krynn. Takhisis, the Queen of Darkness is still at work trying to rule the world and is sending her forces out to find strategic points. Among these locations are the island of the Irda, a race of beautiful beings who want nothing to be left alone. To do so, they turn to a mysterious item called the Greygem, believing that by cracking it open they will be able to keep themselves from being conquered by anyone. That turns out to be a huge mistake, as they end up releasing Chaos, the Father of All and None. Angry at having been imprisoned for so long, Chaos decides he will punish all his children by destroying the world of Krynn, pulling it back into the void from whence it came. Stopping Chaos will require something that has not happened in the history of the world: The complete alliance of everything. Good and evil. Light and dark. Every nation, every race, they must all put aside their differences and work together or the entire world will be erased from existence.
I've been enjoying reading the Dragonlance series ever since I picked up Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I did enjoy the story and the plot because it was an interesting idea to bring everyone together to fight against something that will destroy all of them. I did enjoy reading about how many of the characters I had spent the last few books reading about moved on with their lives. However, I had to deduct a star because I found the ending lacking. I just wasn't pleased with it like I was with the other books. I won't give away spoilers, but I'm not sure I'll be continuing the series into the new age of Krynn.
Caution:
Some uses of the d-word and h-word. One use of the g-word. The appearance of Chaos may be in written word, but the description given to fuel the imagination might create the stuff of nightmares. People are killed, and blood is mentioned.
Lessons:
We must honor our parents, but we must also be allowed to choose our own paths in life. Learning from the examples of our ancestors can help us make tough decisions. People can still be redeemed from poor choices they made in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment